Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bangkok Thai on Main


So its been four months since my last posting and I have my little infant son to blame. He has, on occasion, been able to behave himself long enough to enjoy an evening of fine dining, but it happens so seldom, it's difficult to plan around.

We found ourselves in Park City this afternoon and decided to chance having the baby during dinner. My wife is on a dairy-free diet while breastfeeding, so we decided to go with an Asian cuisine.
Bangkok Thai is located on 605 Main Street in Park City on the lower end of the historic shopping district.

The Atmosphere 5/5

The entrance to the restaurant is in the basement (and I do mean creepy old basement) of the Park Hotel which, despite all aging appearances, was built in the 1980's. The restaurant has a traditional dining area to the left and a lounge to the right. We had initially planned on enjoying the all-you-can-eat Pad Thai at the bar before 6pm for $10 a person, but were turned away because you have to be at least 21 years old to be in the bar... We sort of forgot that we had the baby.

The interior of the restaurant is impressive. My 4 month-old spent most of the evening fascinated with the ceiling. The dining room is actually pretty small, but it didn't run the risk of getting too loud or crowded.

The Service 5/5

Despite not being an example of their usual upper-class Après-ski guests, they did an amazing job of taking care of our needs and preventing any issues having our potentially noisy baby would impose on their other patrons. 
Our order was quickly taken with a smile and our glasses were never empty. They didn't hover over the table and allowed us plenty of time to enjoy ourselves, but not so long as to wonder if our food would ever arrive.

The Food 5/5 

I ordered the Panang Curry and my wife ordered the Pad Thai with Chicken (an apparent favorite among all of their guests and the dish that won them 2013's BEST OF STATE award). I was worried about my decision to go with the brown rice instead of the traditional white with my dinner, but the resulting texture sold me. The food was absolutely heavenly. The only downside was the price. I'd have gladly paid $30 for the food pictured here, but the dinner came to $55 after tax and tip.


We were, however, full and satisfied long before any dessert inquiries were made. I'd gladly go again, but the premium price lands this restaurant squarely in the "special occasion" category and will have to wait for me to devise another excuse for coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment