Saturday, July 27, 2013

Los Cucos Sandy



The Atmosphere 2/5
The last time we were in this building it was a peaceful, relaxing Italian restaurant. It’s been at least four years, but I couldn’t help comparing the atmosphere now to what it was then. There used to be warm, cream-colored walls covered with framed black-and-white pictures of Italian-American celebrities. The photos are gone now; the walls are painted a nauseating shade of green. And the noise level was what I’d expect from a high school cafeteria. Memo to me: This may be the place to bring my grandsons. No one will notice their racket.
The Service 4/5
I couldn’t fault the service. We were seated promptly and our wait staff was friendly, helpful and efficient. My glass never made it to half empty. 
The Food 3/5
I’d come to Los Cucos hungry for mole sauce; the deep, rich kind made with peanut butter, chilies and chocolate. If there was anything on the menu served with mole, I never found it. Instead we opted for the Parilla San Luis: a barbecue/fajita dish with sausages, chicken, beef carnitas, and shrimp. The menu said, “for two,” but this easily could have fed three or four hungry people. 

We’d been meaning to visit this restaurant for some time, if only to satisfy our curiosity. We found the food and service good, but certainly not on the level with the Red Iguana. With so many tastier (and quieter) choices nearby, we’re not likely to choose this spot again.

No comments:

Post a Comment