Sunday, July 7, 2013

Training Table

I was on the fence about posting this review, but I've decided to put it out there. The Training Table was once a thriving chain of 9 or more locations in Utah. I suppose the times have been hard on them as they've lost all but 5 of them. Even their website is no longer hosted. Who knows how much longer we'll be able to enjoy this "Utah Original" restaurant. 



My family and I visited the Cottonwood location on 4828 Highland Drive on the 4th of July. The place was practically empty. We used to come here all the time when the Cottonwood Mall was across the street. Now there is simply a years-long empty field and a lonely Macy's with a sign declaring it is open during "mall construction". 

The Atmosphere 4/5

There is a lot of subtle, yet interesting eye candy in here. Sepia-toned pictures of turn-of-the-century athletes and icons. I particularly like the ceiling decor. 
The floor plan is not very friendly to handicapped guests. In an effort to make the dining room interesting, they've created several tiers of seating areas. This makes navigating the space with a wheelchair difficult. 
 

The Service 3/5

What makes this restaurant model unique is the way orders are placed. Each table has a phone that directly calls a operator in the kitchen. They take your order and ring the phone back when it is ready. As fun and different as it sounds, I found this to be a glorified way of eliminating wait staff from the restaurant. I wouldn't feel this way if the staff at the counter treated the few interactions they have with guests the same way a waiter/ess would. 
The two employees I encountered seemed indifferent and disconnected, hiding behind the counter as they did. The food came quickly and well-prepared, but its easy to miss the human aspect of dining here.

The Food 3/5

I wasn't very hungry, so I ordered the broccoli cheddar soup. I enjoyed it, but it was apparent the soup had been warming for a long time. 
Others at my table ordered a burger and sweet potato fries. Training Table is known for their cheese fries and Utahn fry sauce, so we thought they'd treat the sweet potato fries the same way. The fries were great, (I suppose it's difficult to fail at fries, but it's been done) but the sauce was the strangest thing. They served us a thin caramel sauce with the fries. It was as cloyingly sweet and about as viscous as straight sugar water. I had to awkwardly go back to the counter to ask for their reportedly amazing fry sauce. 

Conclusion

I will miss this restaurant if it ever goes under entirely, but even now it's a shadow of what it once was. They can serve large groups more easily than others because of their unique ordering model. The food was better than average, but not as well-made as I remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment